What is PRC?
The Prevention, Retention, and Contingency (PRC) Program, created by Ohio House Bill 408, is designed to serve low-income families. The PRC Program is a program designed to provide assistance to needy families so that children may be cared for in their own home or in the homes of relatives to prevent dependency on governmental subsidies by promoting job preparation, work, and self-sufficiency, and to alleviate a family crisis that could lead to the removal of a child(ren) from their home. You must apply for assistance through the local Job & Family Services of Portage County (JFS). Community Action Council will provide the service once an approved application is received by our agency from JFS.
PRC UTILITY ASSISTANCE
- With the exception of water, applicants must apply for HEAP assistance during the HEAP heating season and PRC funds will be utilized only during non-HEAP months.
- The agency will always pay the minimum amount necessary to restore service to regulated utilities. This may include a reconnect fee that is required if service has been shut off at the same address.
- Limited to $600 total
- Limited to electric, gas, fuel oil, propane and water.
- Customers must complete a PRC application through the Job & Family Services of Portage County
- Must provide original utility bill in the name of the applicant, spouse, or parent of child in the PRC assistance group.
- If utility is in the landlord's name, verification that the utility is the applicant's responsibility is required. Must furnish the utility bill from the landlord documenting the applicant's portion.
- Requested service must have a disconnection notice, or be at least 30 days past due.
- Services may only be provided twice in a 24 month period, not to exceed a combined total of $600. The 24 month period begins on the date of the application.
PRC Home Repair Assistance
- Limited to $7,500 in emergency repairs that directly affect the health and safety of the family and are limited to electric, plumbing, septic, heat and accessibility problems.
- Must complete a PRC application through the Job & Family Services of Portage County
- Must provide deed/land contract, or other proof of home ownership in the name of the applicant, spouse, or parent of child in the PRC assistance group.
- Address must be applicant's current place of residence.
- Repair needed must be identified and verified by an approved contractor, selected by Community Action Council, as necessary for the health and safety of the family.
- Must provide proof that homeowners insurance will not cover repairs or is a required stipulation to obtain homeowners insurance.
- Eligible for services once in the applicant's lifetime.
How to apply
To apply for services, you must complete an application provided by the Job & Family Services of Portage County. For your convenience, you may click on the link below to be directed to their application.
Contact Community Action Council of Portage County, Inc. for more information at 330-297-1456 or via email at email@example.com .