Winter Crisis Program (WCP) is a federally funded program administered in Portage County by CAC, and is available to provide assistance once per heating season (November 1st - March 31st) to eligible low-income households that are disconnected, threatened with disconnection, or have less than a ten-day supply of bulk fuel. Customers must be below 175% of the federal poverty guidelines for past 30 days.
WCP will restore or maintain the primary heat source and/or secondary energy source up to State of Ohio maximum benefit of $175. Users of fuel oil/propane may receive a benefit of up to $900. Users of wood, coal and pellets may receive a benefit up to $450. The benefit is based on the total dollar amount needed to resolve the crisis situation for the primary and/or secondary energy source, and does not cover total debt owed by the client. A client co-payment may be necessary to resolve the crisis.
Appointments can be made by calling 1-234-703-4303 or by calling our agency at 330-297-1456, option 1. We have an automated appointment system that is available 24 hours per day to schedule an appointment. You may also schedule your appointments online at https://app.capappointments.com.
In order to be eligible for HEAP, a household income must be at or below 175% of the federal poverty guidelines for the program.
A household applying for HEAP must report total gross household income for the past 30 days for all members, except wage or salary income earned by dependent minors under 18 years old.
Individuals interested in receiving Winter Crisis assistance must have a face-to-face interview. Customers must bring the following items to their appointment:
- Documents needed for assistance:
- Picture I.D. for person applying on behalf of household
- Social Security Numbers for EVERYONE in household
- (Social security cards can be used as proof of citizenship)
- Proof of Citizenship for ALL household members
- (Birth Certificate, Social Security Card, Military ID, US Passport, Voter Registration Card).
- All pages of most recent Ohio Edison bill
- If your service is new, transfer, or OFF for more than 30 days, you will need to have a letter 29 faxed to us from Ohio Edison 800-633-4766
- Most recent Dominion or Bulk Fuel bill
- If service is new, transfer, or has been OFF for more than 10 days you will need to bring a pending account number from Dominion 800-950-7989
- Proof of household income for ALL household members age 18 and over for the past 30 days is required
Below is a list of the most common types of income (your individual household situation may require you to bring something that is not listed below):
- All paystubs or employer printout that includes gross income & pay dates with any medical/child support deductions.
- SSI/Social Security, Pension, Utility Allowance, Student Loans or grants, TANF
- Child support print out for all children, or statement from child support that there is no child support order when both parents do not live in the same household.
- Help from a non-household member requires a statement from anyone that is helping you. Statement MUST have the following information included:
- Name, address, and phone number of the person who helps you
- How much money they give you
- How often money is given (specifically for the last 30 days)
- Must be signed and dated with the amount that has been given in the past 30 days.
- Notarized statement from adult household member, if representing a household that you do not live in.
- Seasonal Employment: You need the most recent 12 months of income. This can be pay stubs or seasonal employment verification form.
- Self-Employed: Any jobs you are paid cash for as well as odd jobs etc, are considered self-employment. You need your most recent IRS 1040 (entire tax return), If you do not file a 1040 form with the IRS, you must provide an IRS Verification of Non-filing letter along with a completed Self-Employment Income and expense form.
- If claiming zero (0) income you must fill out a zero income form explaining how you have been surviving on Zero income, AND may be asked to obtain a tax transcript and/or additional documentation. You can call for the tax transcript at 1-800-908-9946 or WWW. IRS.GOV
- Must contact the agency to schedule an appointment for service at 1036 W. Main Ravenna through the automated appointment line, (330) 297-1456 option 1, 234-703-4303, or https://app.capappointments.com
- (24 hour voice response scheduling). Will only schedule up to three (3) weeks in advance.
- May “call-in” for same day phone appointment at the main office on MONDAY, TUESDAY, WEDNESDAY and THURSDAY MORNINGS between 8:00 am and 10:00 am (See First 24 clients).
- Must complete an application, provide proof of income for all household members over 18, provide a copy of most recent utility bills, and provide proof of citizenship, social security numbers and birth dates for all household members, applicant must also provide a picture I.D.
- CAC will begin accepting appointments on Monday, October 221st. To contact CAC call 330-297-1456. Our fax number is 330-297-1463.